Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Skunk De Pew

So, this was not what I was intending to update you guys on as I was pondering my next entry, but it must be shared. I arrived at school this morning in the Texas Arctic chill - that is Northern for moderately cold. I opened my car door and exited only to be welcomed by a wave of fragrant odor. Being a good ole country girl, I identified that smell immediately. Skunk! My first thought was that someone had hit one on a road nearby and the smell was traveling over our little hill. As I approached the building, the pungent stench was increasing. In fact, the entrance way near my door was as if it has been sprayed directly by the frightened beast. I was only more overjoyed to discover that this nauseating foulness was lingering in my room because I am lacking windows to help ventilate the problem. I am usually not a complainer, but I quickly printed off my material and made my way to the office to voice my concern fearing that class would not be conducted in an organized manner because of the punishment both student and teacher would endure. They quickly got me a fan to extract the smell and gave me some candles to burn to assist. I also learned that it is quite possible that our angry or scared little rodent was still somewhere in the building, probably the ventilation system. So, if you thought your "Monday" (we were off yesterday) started off to a bang, try this one out.

My students have rose above the occasions and presented projects despite of the stench. I applaud them all. Whew!

No comments: