Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Boy Who Will Marry My Daugther

Today is a significant day in the Powell family. Our oldest has embarked upon her final year in the single digits. Nine seems like just another year in the grand spectrum of childhood, but my mind constantly thinks in milestones and monumental occasions. You see, last year was our halfway point to the ever fearful 16 – driving. It awakened in us the dire need to begin to plan for her vehicle and save for that added expense. I am just crazy enough that I have researched safety ratings on current cars; because current cars will be used cars in our price range come time to buy her car. Crazy, I know. Just another little peek inside my warped little mind.

Today is the marker of her final year of her first decade of life. Nine years ago today, I awaited the arrival of my first baby. Oh the joy that flooded our souls as we knew the addition to our family would change everything. Even more so, nine months prior to this day, I began a specific prayer for my child. It involved a number of specific petitions to the Lord encompassing many upcoming markers in her development. I prayed for her acceptance of His Lordship at an early age. Check. I prayed for friends to be abundant and for her personality to be attractive and pleasing to His eyes. Check. I prayed for her health and well being throughout her life. I prayed for her protection from persecution from the ones who do not believe. I prayed for her future spouse. I still pray for him today.

Though you might think it is silly, God never tires of my requests. Right now, somewhere, is a young man developing and being nurtured by a parent or guardian raising him. Right now, somewhere, a young man is watching and observing how a man is to treat a woman. Right now, somewhere, a young man is gaining an education that will equip him to be successful and a confident provider for his family. Right now, somewhere, a young man is making a decision about his Creator as to whether he believes and trusts or is still skeptical. Right now, somewhere, a young man is grasping what love is and is, again, learning by what is modeled before him. Right now, somewhere, a young man is falling in love with a hobby that will be his joy and release when he needs a break from being the dedicated leader of his home. Right now, somewhere, a young man is learning how to handle conflict and solve problems. Right now, somewhere, a young man is learning to communicate in a pleasant and constructive way.

Ephesians 5 describes how a wife and husband are to interact with one another. Yet, it is often ignored in the first part of the chapter Paul’s specific emphasis how every relationship is to be established. We are to live a life of love. There is not to be any immorality or impurity or greed. There is to be no deception with empty words or deeds of the darkness. There is to be a life of decisions made in wisdom, not foolishness. We are to speak words of kindness and encouragement making the most of every opportunity. We are to submit to one another out of reverence.

We are to love as Christ loves us. He submitted himself to death on the cross so that we would not have to suffer. He loved with a radical commitment to our advancement and well being. By beginning the practice of this style of love, my daughter will understand how to have a successful marriage one day. The man that will take her hand will love her this way as well, for I cry out to the Lord for this and He hears my cry. The man that will one day take her hand will not be deceiving or dishonest with her as he is fleeing from the darkness and making the most of every opportunity to encourage her as well as others he impacts – like my grandchildren. He will be selfless because he has learned from scripture to not be greedy. He will love her like Christ loves the church.

I pray for both of my girls concerning this very topic. It is imperative that as our world continues to embrace things that are displeasing to the Lord, I must pray for these people that will one day be a part of my family. They need the prayer just as I do to get through these most complicated times. God desires to know my desires and I desire for His desires to become my desires. How could my God not desire for my daughters to be aligned with someone who will help them stand strong against the evil one seeking to destroy? My God will supply all my needs. One day I will not be here and I need someone to pick-up where I leave off encouraging and inspiring my girls to greatness.

Young man, I am praying for you and I look forward to the day we meet. On that day, I will begin to hear the story of how God answered my prayers through the course of your life. I will celebrate with you how you have overcome obstacles and become the man He intends you to be.

2 comments:

Mama B said...

I absolutely LOVE this!

Rachel said...

I imagine that your Mom prayed for me in the same way. :) Your prayer life has always encouraged me to pray more. Proud of your consistent writing.