Saturday, June 28, 2014

Bob White

Bob White. Bob White. Bob White.


As I sit here this morning, I hear it over and over again and I am quite tearful. You see, this morning, I sit at my Father’s feet begging for some sort of sign that He is hearing me and will take care of me during a small storm my family is encountering. I sit and I beg and I finally say to Him, I will sit still and listen if you will just speak to me.

Do you ever have those moments? A time where you feel like you have faithfully been laying a request at the throne and trusting that He will hear your plea and will give you some sort of direction as to where to move? A time where you feel that you have been patient, and then the patience is beginning to turn into anxiety? And even then, it isn’t anxiety in a lack of trust of the One who will deliver you through all weaknesses, but an anxiety that you have failed to do something you should’ve done? Anxiety that you are doing something wrong? Anxiety that you missed a step in the path and need to go back and make it right? Do you know that feeling?

Well, that is where I am, and where I have been for about a week now. I am totally believing that God will provide for me exactly what I need, and more importantly, what my family needs. I believe that. Yet, I never want to be someone who is idle in their duration between petitions to the Father and receiving of His blessing. I never want to appear as though I am deserving of ANYTHING, so to not be actively in pursuit or working while waiting is out of the question. But today, I found myself a little discouraged.

Still reading Isaiah, and well, let me just tell ya, today’s passage was all sorts of fun (sarcasm). Chapter 22 is Isaiah’s prophecy about Jerusalem – you know, God’s CHOSEN people. In this chapter, Isaiah proclaims to them (paraphrase)
You see that you are not prepared for battle or for defense. So you work hard to begin making preparation for the impending doom. You make actions and recruitments and adjustments in order to be more prepared…but you never rely on the strength of the One who can deliver you.

I feel like I do rely on the Lord, but I also know that He had me read that for a reason today. There is no mistaking to His word, and there is no mistaking to His timing. He spoke. I am apparently in a tizzy and didn’t realize how anxious I was until today. Then, I close the Word, and I tell Him I am listening.

Bob White. Bob White. Bob White.

Oh God, thank you for quiet mornings and the masterpiece of Creation that is so audible and LOUD for me. Thank you for speaking to me. Thank you for a quiet morning of solitude. Thank you. Thank you.

The area of the country where I now life has been inundated with torrential rain. We have been here 21 days now and I believe it has rained at least 16 of the past 21 days. No, I am not in the Pacific Northwest, but I have asked if anyone has seen Noah somewhere in a field cutting timber. After every storm, God uses Creation to communicate with one another that the storm is actually over for a time. All the vocal animals come out of hiding and begin calling to one another, “the coast is clear. Time to dry off. Did you make it?”


After every batch of rain we have had through the past few weeks, there has been the unmistakable call of the quail or the Bob White birds to each other in the fields. It is so peaceful and assuring, but even more so is it amazing. We sit in our homes with sturdy walls and trusted roofs (built by man) and often find ourselves sometimes afraid of storms. This morning, I find myself ashamed and embarrassed. As I sit in my air conditioned shelter, the bobwhite proclaims their praise to the Almighty for another day as they endured the storm head-on out in the very elements of the downpour and furniture scattering wind. The storm passes, and they vocalize their praise.

My storm is so miniscule when I consider what they witness out there. So today, I say Amen, even though it is still raining in my world. I say Amen. I say Bob White.

Here are the lyrics to one of my favorite Casting Crowns songs. If you don’t know it, go YouTube it.

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

No comments: