Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Shopping for Junior

I was thinking this morning as I was driving to school about certain clothing styles and the ways in which certain groups of people wear their clothing. We passed several students in varying neighborhoods making their way to the schoolhouse and as you may of guessed, several of the male students were wearing the typical blue jean, white sneaker, and OVERSIZED sweatshirt. As a new mom, my thoughts began to go immediately to the first encounter with this outfit. Someone had to take this child shopping and allow them to choose these articles of clothing. That same someone had to either see the child walk out of a dressing room with it on or to see the tag that clearly stated XXL on it and say to themself, "Self, that seems to be a suitable size for my 63 lb son." Then my next thought went to the conversation that might occur between child and parent the following year.

Child: "Mom, my pants are getting a little tight. Do you think I might be able to get a new pair for school this year? I don't know if Kiki will be able to see my boxers in this pair anymore?"

Parent: "I was noticing that myself. You have worn that pair out. We better get to the store this weekend."

Is there not ever a point where the child might actually grow into the pants and/or sweatshirt considering the drastic oversize? Did you seriously buy that size for your wee child on purpose for fashion? Did you seriously justify spending $75 on a sweatshirt that could hold your entire family within its seams? I was holding out for buying things slightly bigger so they can be used more than one season. My mom did that with coats and sometimes even pants. Was that not the original intent when the parent bought the outfit so largely mis-sized? Help me here!

No comments: