Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Holiday Bliss

Things that I love...the HOLIDAYS! Anytime we are given a reason in society to celebrate or deviate from the norm so that we may just truly smile and rejoice in the goodness of our fellow man - I get all giddy inside. You are probably thinking at this moment, not every holiday allows for that. The original intent of many holiday occasions is to do just that. Halloween - comes from all hallow's eve - the evening before All Saint's Day. Granted there have been some derrogatory deviations from what people intended this holiday to be for the past 50 years, but I still hold onto the fun. My vision is seeing children dress up in costume to escape their reality into some sort of fantasy - i.e. Yoda or a princess or even a ghoul - so that they may skip up and down the sidewalks to solicite candy from their fellow neigbors. Your benefit - to see children being able to relax and enjoy each other; to see children enjoying the comfort and safety of their community by being able to trust that their neighborhood is filled with loving adults who will provide them with goodies and not harmful material or harmful intentions; to receive the satisfaction of giving to others by watching their smiles and hearing their muffled thank yous from beneath their masks. It saddens me that people have twisted this event where children cannot go without parents door-to-door. It saddens me that we must worry about evil activities outside of the community. It saddens me that we don't communicate with our children enough to help them understand that they are in costume, therefore not reality. It saddens me that grown teenagers take advantage of the freebies and therefore I have little left for the children. I still had a grand time last night and I look forward to next year when I get to take Emma door-to-door! By the way, this year was the year of Tigger.

1 comment:

Amy said...

HEAR,HEAR! Mrs. Powell. Well said. I love taking my kids trick-or-treating (TOT) door to door. I love my church, but the fall festivals just don't beat good old fashioned TOT.