Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Where Can I Park My Car?

So I’m a crier. We all know this full well, right? I can sob with the best of them at any given moment. However, I can hold it in as well as long as nobody touches me. Are you that way? You are a rock, but the minute someone tries to hug you or even put a hand on your shoulder, that thick layer of strength tends to weaken and sometimes cripple you. You know what is even more noticeable? When God is the one giving that hug or placing that hand on your shoulder. The crippling factor is only for a minute second as I am released from my worry knowing that there is a hand on my shoulder through my storm. Oh my goodness, it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

We encourage each other often with the wonderful words written in Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In ALL YOUR WAYS, acknowledge HIM, and HE will make your path straight.

There is that word again…trust. So many of us struggle with this term. We long to have a relationship with anybody that is trustworthy, but we are afraid that is not achievable. Think about it. Most everyone that you have encountered in your life has let you down in some form or fashion right? Maybe you have an amazing grandfather who seems perfect, but I can bet there is something in his life that he might not be proud of. We all make mistakes.

The matter of trust that is being discussed here is one that is being placed upon your Creator, you know that guy that spoke and things just all of the sudden came to be. Yeah, that guy. Not the guy that attended to you as you grew up. Not the guy who coached you through your favorite sport. Not the guy who broke up with you after proposing. Not the guy who gave you a job only to turn around and fire you because of budget.

You see, we equate trusting in the Lord with the only other examples of trust we are able to comprehend. Trusting in the one who is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent is not comparable to trusting your parent, or your coach, or your favorite teacher, or your best friend, or your soul mate. Though these people are valuable to you and also find value in you, they are not able to see your future. They are not able to be everywhere with you (or without you). They certainly do not have the power to do all things – including create.

I am the optimist in my family. The glass is half full. I always have hope. I live with a family of fuddy duddies though. They see the world through tainted and jaded goggles. Everyone is operating under an ulterior motive and nobody is worthy of trust and everyone will fail and life is not a bunch of roses. Blah, Blah, blah. I see everyone as having potential. I see that everyone deserves a second chance, maybe even a 3rd.

However, I am far more guarded than some. I understand all too well that people can disappoint me and hurt me and let me down. I have not lived in a cave or bubble for the past few decades. People are greedy and people are needy and people are manipulative and people are deceitful. But guess what? God isn’t. So I trust Him. That trust is what gives me hope and helps me see the potential in others.

When I am struggling over who God has chosen to use in my life to give me verbal guidance, I stay on my knees. Even well intentioned mentors can lead you down the wrong path. Above all, go with your gut…because your gut is sometimes more than just your nerves. Often, it is God speaking to you with your gut.

Now, don’t live a life of naivety. I am not saying to trust everyone. The emphasis is IN ALL YOUR WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, and then He will make your path straight. So, in other words, when you feel that trusting someone is questionable, pray about it. When you can’t decide on a job, pray about it. When you are afraid of losing your home, pray about it. When you are confused about a discipline issue, pray about it. When you can’t decide what to order at a restaurant because of budget or diet, pray about it. The Lord NEVER TIRES of hearing you speak to Him. My mother used to pray for a close parking space everywhere we went. My father would tease her and tell her to quit bothering God with that request. It mattered to her, so she asked it of the Lord.

When you actually trust Him, you will see His hand at work. Remember you are not dealing with another human. You are trusting someone who has the power to spin your little world around a large ball of fire causing life to spring forth whenever He desires. You will feel his touch and maybe even His hug. You will no longer be bound by circumstances, but you will sprint with new energy that is given by allowing that trust to be initiated. Oh how He loves you and me.

1 comment: