Monday, March 17, 2014

Verbal Vomit

When I was younger in my years, ok, yesterday, I tended to be sometimes lacking in caution with my words. Now do not get me wrong. Between the two adults that call my address home, I am far stronger at the filtering of words. However, I am also that soul that will literally sit up in bed sometimes reliving stupid things that I let spew out of my mouth causing me embarrassment or causing harm to another or causing the misrepresentation of my Lord. Do you do that? Even now as I confess this, I feel that overwhelming squirmy flush feeling that washes over me with the laundry list of do-overs I wish I could have. Some of them would even be laughed at by you, but to me, I felt just reckless with my words. Or perhaps they were not reckless, I just chose to try to be cool or to fit in only to have that awkward silence follow as what I said did not make any sense or was just plain inappropriate.

At this very moment, I am taking time to apologize to all of you that I have vomited of the mouth towards. Know that I am a fallen and sinful human who is aware of my shortcomings and aware that I am not worthy to have a mouth to speak with, so I am sorry that I have said anything to cause you grief or discomfort. I hope your life is better because you rose above my stupidity.

If we were to survey the culture of my generation, the freedom of speech is probably the primary freedom that many of them would first note among those protected by our great and dynamic founding document. And as my generation has matured, I see that this freedom has been embraced all the more instead of reservedly protected like the previous generations. Wouldn't you agree? I know that my parents were extremely aware of their rights and the precious ones protected by a document written by men that had never even touched a typewriter much less an iPad. Yet, I am also aware that my parents and a large fraction of their generation have exercised a disciplined restraint of this freedom in a greater capacity than my generation. So if the decline is occurring from parents to child from this slope, than it will continue as the next generation comes of age to formulate speech and the exercise of said freedom.

Yet, as I am among those who still struggle with being Chatty Cathy, I am also aware that my words are powerful and strong. The book of Proverbs takes great lengths to remind us that our words are something that can be helpful or harmful. In fact, there is greater emphasis placed on what NOT to do than on how to properly speak. So in other words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked. Hatred stirs up dissention, but love covers over all wrongs. Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning, but a rod is for the back of him who lacs judgment. Proverbs 10:11-13

In my usage of my freedom of speech, am I providing direction to the fountain of life? Am I using my freedom of speech to spill love over all wrong? Am I exercising discernment with my speech so that the rod may be spared?

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. Proverbs 10:19

I don't have to even explain that one, right?

With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape. Proverbs 11:9

The first reading of this passage makes me think of the scandalous malicious soul operating under a life of rebellion and destruction. However, as I read over it again, I am aware that it is very simply pointing out those whom operate without knowledge - the gateway to understanding and wisdom - are in a reckless and harmful state that not only harms self, but also those very near and dear to you. How often does my freedom in speech actual impact those whom I spend larger amounts of my life with over those who are just passing by? Um, every time I exercise carelessness, I hurt those near me. Even when I am not with them, my careless words can cause embarrassment and judgment to be heaped upon them unduly.

As the very impacting passages in Proverbs continue to unfold, the use of the tongue, the motive of speech, the discernment of silence all continue to redirect us to a place of filtering. It is with this filtering that we will build our homes for the glory of the Lord. It is with this filtering that we will build our communities for the Lord. It is with this filtering that we will rise up new leaders to bring healing to our land. It is with this filtering, the simple act of guarding our speech, that we can change the world and bring God's kingdom into restoration so that all may know Him and know that He knows them.

Help me filter. Lord, thank you for your Word and the instruction it provides for me to clean up the vomit.

2 comments:

Mama B said...

I could have very well written this myself, you know, if I could write half as well as you ;) I love it! This is such a big struggle for me. It is nice to know that others sit up in a cold sweat at night over something you said that no one else has given a second thought to.

Anonymous said...

So many times I have meant to express what is in my heart towards someone, or even a joke and it came out with a different feel or inflection in my voice that lead to a falled dismount of words. This blog entry hit the nail on the head for me.

Thank you for sharing this!