Thursday, January 04, 2007

Who'd We See Part 5: Papa



Probably the easiest name that Emma has learned aside from Mommy and Daddy is PAPA! She calls for him without reservation and he is often her imaginary friend on the other end of her phone conversations. Her love for him is quite obvious and she probably knows that whatever she wants can be easily had if she just asks and says please. At least I know this fact because he has shared it numerous times - whatever she wants.


Our visit with Papa was cherished and precious. We adapted our Christmas observance this year and held our special family time at Jason's house. It made the absence somewhat easier to endure, but did not eliminate the anguish that comes when your mom/wife/Nana is no longer near. I would probably be safe to say that Emma provided medicinal benefits for all of us, but most of all for her Papa. She loved on him and welcomed his affection in return.


Papa has become a wonderful cook over the last few years and never passes up another opportunity to prepare "geen geens" (green beans) for the baby. He helped with the Christmas dinner by making her a batch of geen geens and cornbread for the dressing - a very special touch since the recipe is my mom's.


Papa also provided Emma with another set of fun gifts. She received her special bed from Papa and Nana, which she loves along with some adorable clothes.


One of our favorite interactions with Papa was watching him kiss her hand. He would ask to kiss her hand, and our darling little princess would stick her hand out like the queen. She knows. She knows that she is the queen of the men in her life. Oh the trouble I have before me.


At the close of our visit with Papa and Jason, we made sure to visit Nana as well. Mother has been laid to rest next to my Mama Lola and Papa Jay (my Dad's parents). It is a tradition for me to take fresh flowers when I visit these important people in my life and I wanted to incorporate Emma into the very cherishable moment. We are never too young to begin to learn about the respect and reverence of these moments and I want her to be aware of this from this point forward.

No comments: