Tuesday, November 08, 2005

89:11-8

For those of you who actually frequent this site and are not native Texans - WHAT THE CRAP? It is November the 8th and the high today according to one of our fine meteorologists is 89! Sweet LORD! God loves this little jab at me. You see, growing up in Alabama, I truly whined to the Lord often about how Alabama missed out on White Christmas and true sledding. Sure we saw the Floridians decorating palm trees and the Arizonians decorating cacti, and I knew that was to make me to appreciate the precipitation that I did get. Yet, I wanted a bundle up snowshoe Christmas. I didn't know that there could be yet another place that had such strange and punishing weather. I now appreciate the 3-4 snowfalls a year that might have graced the foothills of the Appalachians. I appreciate the humidity that helped cool off the heat of the day and bring the Autumn evenings back to a chilled night time bliss. When I went out to run at 6:00 this morning it was 75.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Some one has forgotten what it was like to play scrabble by candle light during the great snow storm of 1993 (I still maintain you made that one word up, by the way). How could you ever wish for snow after enduring those three days of ice and sub-zero temperatures?

Jodi Powell said...

I know, I know, but we lived in an area that didn't have technological advancements in terms of storm survival - i.e. underground power & phone lines. I made up nothing of the sort. You are hysterical at what you can remember! I do admit it would've sucked had my mom not had a gas stove.